To continue our series on yachting holiday destinations, today we are covering Croatia. Croatia has frown considerably in popularity over the last few years, largely fuelled by the reasonable prices and unspoilt landscapes.
Sailing is definitely the best way to enjoy the beautiful coastlines and islands of Croatia. If you are planning a yacht trip to Croatia, summer is the perfect time to go, as the weather and the scenery are breathtaking. Head to the Adriatic coast to experience it for yourself. There is something for everyone in this beautiful country.
Renting a boat for the day
In Croatia it isn’t necessary to charter a yacht for the whole duration of your stay, you could just hire a boat for a day or two. If this is the case head to Split, which is the best town to begin your adventure. From there set sail and visit the many beautiful places Croatia has to offer. Here are some of the best places you can check out while boating in Croatia.
- Primosten – This beautiful town has one of the best sailing spots in the Adriatic Sea. You can try docking here for a day and walk down the small roads of this ancient town. It is the perfect place to send a lazy afternoon. The locals are also very friendly and always ready to help you with any questions you might have.
- Milna – Situated on the island of Brac, this town has one of the best harbours. If you are a rookie sailor, this can be one of the first places to dock. It will give you a good idea of port conditions in the Adriatic and acclimatize you to the region. Milna has number of beautiful sandy beaches that have become characteristic of Croatia. It is a perfect place to enjoy with family.
- Vis – This is furthest island from the Croatian mainland and it is an ideal destination for those with an adventurous streak. Beautiful gravel beaches and the traditional konobas are the main attractions here. For those who don’t know, konobas are the traditional Croatian taverns and these are great places to enjoy some local flavours. There are also many inland areas worth exploring here.
- Skradin – One of the larger cities of Croatia, it is located 15 kilometres from Sibenik. It is famous for beautiful gardens and waterfalls. The Slapovi Krke waterfalls found here will take your breath away. It is also one of the oldest inhabited localities in the region with a history dating back to the 2nd Century.
- Mljet – The island of Mljet was the highlight of my entire trip and there is no doubt that it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. But getting here can be a bit difficult and I would recommend it only for experienced sailors. The beautiful lakes, forests and inland seas of this place will leave you spellbound. It is a perfect way to end your sailing sojourn.